New Patient Information
We know you have choices when it comes to your healthcare, and we thank you for choosing Memorial Hermann Medical Group. Our professional staff is dedicated to high-quality individualized care for each of our patients, using a patient-focused approach that is designed to promote your long-term health and well being. We have put together the following information to assist in making your visit with us as convenient and pleasant as possible.
We connect our patients and providers through our secure web-based system. To find out more, visit the document below:
Patient Portal with Secure Messaging
We strive to see our patients promptly at their scheduled appointment time. Please assist us in keeping our schedule running on time by following these simple guidelines:
- When making your appointment, clearly state the reason for your visit to help us schedule the appropriate amount of time with your physician.
- The doctor will only be able to see you for the issue scheduled that day because add-on issues take time away from other patients who are scheduled that day.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please notify our office at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations made in less than 24 hours may incur a $25 fee.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to complete paperwork or review your current information.
- If you arrive late for your appointment, you may be asked to reschedule.
Please bring the following items with you to every appointment:
- Photo ID such as driver's license or state-issued ID
- Insurance card(s)
- Payment via MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, personal check or cash
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking, including any over-the-counter medications, vitamins or supplements
- Complete list of other physicians you see, their contact information, and why you see them
- Results from your last mammogram, colonoscopy, lab work, X-rays, cardiac studies or any other tests performed since your last visit - including those ordered by physicians outside the Memorial Hermann Medical Group
Preventive Care Services vs. Medical Care (Treatment) Services:
- Preventive Care Services focus on disease prevention. Various screening exams such as a general physical and well woman exam are performed to evaluate health status and identify potential risk factors that may lead to illness. Payment for preventive care services depends on the patient’s health plan’s insurance coverage. Well woman exams are usually a covered benefit; however if physicals are not covered, the patient pays 100%. Most routine lab tests, x-rays, EKGs are not covered. Vaccine payment/coverage is dependent on a patient’s individual benefit plan. A preventive care visit does not include medical care or treatment of an illness or disease.
- Medical Care Services that provide treatment for an illness or chronic condition (illness or disease) are usually covered in part by insurance, but may require a co-payment or co-insurance, and may have a yearly deductible expense. By contract, Memorial Hermann Medical Group is obligated to charge and collect co-payments for medical care at the time of service. If you require assessment and treatment for an illness during a scheduled preventive visit, (well woman, well child, annual exam, etc.) then you may be billed for two charges and insurance may pay these claims under different benefits.
- Financial responsibility is yours regardless of insurance coverage. Health insurance coverage is a contract between you and your insurance carrier.
- It is your responsibility to select a participating provider in your insurance network, and to ensure proper authorization from your carrier.
- While we do our best to verify your coverage and benefits prior to your visit, please contact your carrier for an explanation of your coverage and benefits. It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure the services you receive are covered, and to determine your financial obligation.
- You will be expected to pay any outstanding balances along with the co-pay at the time of your visit. If this is not possible, you will be required to contact the Central Business Office at (713) 448-5566
prior to your appointment to make payment arrangements. After this has been accomplished and verified by the Central Business Office, you will be seen by a doctor.
- It is your responsibility to contact our office with any changes to your insurance, home address or phone number.
- All billing inquiries should be directed to the Central Business Office at (713) 448-5566
and not to your physician's office.
- We know you have choices when it comes to your healthcare, and we thank you for choosing Memorial Hermann Medical Group. Our professional staff is dedicated to high-quality individualized care for each of our patients, using a patient-focused approach that is designed to promote your long-term health and wellbeing. We have put together the following information to assist in making your visit with us as convenient and pleasant as possible.
- Patients often ask us to help them complete specific forms for special needs they may have. You should bring these forms with you to your regularly scheduled appointment for the related condition, and give the forms to your physician at that time.
- If you do not bring the forms with you to your appointment, you will incur a $30 fee to have the forms downloaded and completed.
- Please allow 7 to 10 business days to process the forms.
- If there are refills left on your prescription, contact your pharmacy and they will refill your medication automatically. If there are no refills left, the pharmacy will send an electronic request to our office.
- Check the medicine bottle to see if the prescription can be refilled. Check your supply to make sure you do not run out of medication over weekends and holidays. Please give us plenty of notice before you run out of medication for a refill.
- If you are requesting prescription refills from our office, please allow up to 48 hours for completion. Urgent medication refill requests will be processed sooner.
- Please bring your medication(s), or a list of medications to each clinic appointment. This includes daily, over the counter, vitamins, supplements as well as occasionally used medicine. Safe medication ordering requires an ongoing relationship with your medical provider. You may need to be seen at appropriate intervals (as determined by your provider).
- Should your medical provider be unavailable when you request a prescription refill, it is at the discretion of the covering medical provider to fill or not fill the prescription(s). The covering medical provider may request you to make an appointment before refilling the medication.
- Please be aware that Primary Care Physicians may decide to not refill other Specialist's medication orders.
- Contact our office five business days prior to needing a refill for a medication requiring a triplication prescription (for narcotics and controlled drugs). Once the staff has notified you that the prescription is ready for pick up, the prescription may be picked up by you or the patient's personal representative which is listed on the form "Designation of Personal Representatives" at your provider’s office. Triplicate prescriptions require more paperwork and complexity than routine prescriptions.
- Please allow 72 hours for referrals to a specialist or authorizations for certain medical tests or procedures.
- Provide all of the information requested by the medical assistant requests in order to obtain the referral or authorization. Providing incomplete information will delay the process.
- Referrals to see a Memorial Hermann Medical Group specialist must be received by the specialist's office prior to your appointment. If not, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment until a referral has been received.
Lab and Test Results:
- Remember to review your contact information with the medical assistant to ensure the contact information we have on record is correct.
- Please allow 5 days to receive your routine test results. Please allow additional time for specialty labs.
- If you have not heard from your physician after 5 days, please call the office.
- Your phone messages will be returned within 24 hours.
- Messages left after 3 p.m. will be returned the next business day.
- Messages left after 3 p.m. on Friday will be returned on Monday.
- When leaving a message with the medical assistant, please leave your name, the patient's name (if different), the patient's date of birth, the reason for your call, and your call-back phone number.
- If your request is urgent, please speak with a front office assistant to relay the message immediately.
- If your call is regarding a medical emergency, do not leave a message. Hang up and dial 911 immediately.
- Requests for a copy of your medical record must be made in writing, and accompanied by a completed and signed authorization form.
- When you submit the completed and signed authorization form to us, we will forward it to the Release of Information Department of Memorial Hermann.
- There may be a charge for a copy of your medical record. The Release of Information Department will contact you with that information.
- If you need a copy of medical documents to give to another physician, please contact your doctor's medical assistant and provide the other physician's name and fax number. Our office will send your documents directly to them.